Life Drawing: Fall 2010

What follows is the chronicle of my journey as an artist and a designer through a course that promises to be challenging, enriching, and rewarding.



Mariah Fryer

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Life from Art

What does it mean to be an artist?  What does it mean to be a designer?   These are questions that are frequently discussed in my circle of friends.  I aspire to both titles.  As an artist I can appreciate the play of color, texture, and line within a piece of art.  Whether a piece of organic sculpture, an exquisitely worked piece of metal, or a sumptuous garment, my life is filled with works of art.  But as a designer I can appreciate the precision of a well-tailored piece of clothing, the forethought and research put into a piece of metal work, or the structural magnificence of monumental works.

But why I am an artist is a question with a much simpler answer.

I am an artist because I am compelled to create.  Ever since childhood, as long as I can recall, I have always loved to create something from (seemingly) nothing.  Whether that was drawing, painting and later writing and creating costumes and clothes.

But beyond my compulsion is a passion for always bettering myself, my work, my craft.  That is why I am here.  Here at UW Stout, here in this life drawing course.  I want to be the best artist and the best designer that I possibly can.  This will only be achieved through practicing my craft, working hard, and viewing my work with a keen and critical eye.

The main reason I want to take this life drawing course is to learn to draw from what I see more accurately.  I've done stylistic drawing, and no small amount of still life, but so little of my instruction has been focused on truly realistic representations.

I want to pursue a career as a concept artist in the video game industry and in order to do this, I must improve my drawing skills and develop a unique and singular style in my drawing.

An example of a concept artists finished piece to give to a character modeller*


A character Design study for Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" universe.*


I know that through practice and perseverance I will excel and be successful in my endeavors in this course and in life.

*The above images are not my own creations, they are examples of the work I wish to produce in the future.

1 comment: